Learning about black history in school

 I did not notice that we weren’t being taught black history until someone pointed it out.


I was happily learning about King Henry the 8th and his wives or Elizabeth and her struggle as a woman. As opposed to the islands I am from or another culture.


Although they could include other races into the teaching of WWI and WWII because it was a world war like it couldn’t have been that hard to find information about other races. 


They act as if France, England and Russia were the only countries fighting this war. I think that India was a big force when fighting the war and Mauritius was a base for the royal navy. But you may have to check that information.


Anyways, my point is that I didn’t notice. 


But in this blog, I don’t just want to advocate for black history even though its in the title. I think if were are going to look at this we have to look at the bigger picture and say well what about all the races and cultures.


I know it may be hard to cover all cultures because there are a lot. But even covering a little and rotating the years - I know it is easier said than done.

What my school has taught me...

A short overview of what my school has taught me.


I have learnt civil rights e.g. Martin Luther King, Malcolm X and black consciousness. But that is only if you take GCSE history. 


Then in A level history, I have been learning about South Africa. My teacher did give us context on the different tribes like the Zulus and the Xhosas. But that is as far as I know. Apart from anything my parents and grandparents have told me.


insta: shae_li.04


Let me know...

Do you think that the extent of my own knowledge is bad?


Do you think it is because of me taking my own initiative to learn or the education system?


How do you think we should change the system so that it evenly covers the history of most cultures without being bias? 

However, they could teach us about different cultures but in a negative light and children could grow up to hate cultures or their own cultures.

Finally, what age range do you think we should focus on when pushing the acceptance of cultures?


Comments