My attention span

 My attention span was bad enough before covid. 


Now I think it is hanging from a piece of string.



Research

I have actually researched ‘how to improve your attention span’ or ‘how to improve my attention span’.


I watched a video and it said while revising have a stick note next to you and every time you think ‘oh I need to do this, write it on a sticky note so you can do it later.


I tried it a couple of times but after a while, I stopped. There was no particular reason why. I just did. I mean, I don’t really procrastinate like that. My procrastination comes before I start doing the work.


But even now if I look it up, its says…

‘Here are eight tricks and tips for eliminating distractions and paying attention to what you need to do:’

  1. Prepare Your Brain. Before a task, calm your brain, says Venezky. ...

  2. Understand Where Your Focus Needs To Be. ...

  3. Unplug For 30 Minutes. ...

  4. Grab Some Coffee. ...

  5. Check the Thermostat. ...

  6. Turn On Some Music. ...

  7. Take Short Breaks. ...

  8. Doodle


Or…


‘Exercise will help your attention span’

‘10 secrets to keep your attention’ 


And for some of you, it may work. For others, you are procrastinating while looking up these things because it is not going to work.

What I have done...

As I said before, I have done the sticky note thing.

There is also this thing on my phone and its called ‘focus mode’. For the past 4 months, I have been using it. It basically blocks you from using apps like snap, instagram, Twitter or a game you have on your phone. You can pick the apps and the apps go transparent.


If you click on the app it doesn’t let you in but asks if you want a 5-minute break. So, in other words, my phone becomes useless in a way and I don’t use it. 


The other thing I have done is put my phone on the other side of the room or under my pillow. That means if I go for my phone I am actively trying to get it and hopefully midway I can stop myself. (self-control)


The most recent one I have done was download an app and I can set a timer and a tree grows. At the time I downloaded the app, I was bored and I used it for about a week. But I think a tree gets planted every you use it, time so that’s good -  it didn’t work for me.


Aahhhhhgs 


But the problem is that once my phone is away I have to deal with my head. 


I am a daydreamer.


If you left me in a room I would daydream for HOURS. I do it sometimes in my room now. I’ll just sit there and every time I hear someone going past my room. I have to pretend I am on my phone so no one thinks I am crazy. 


Anyways, I would sit there for 10 minutes instead of doing my work. It’s annoying because one I wasted time and two I still have to do that work.


So somehow I have to focus my mind on the subject, but I don’t really know how to do that, and if it is boring then I will start daydreaming anyways. 


To be fair, I always get everything done. Like unless I said ‘oh I am going to do extra’ then I don’t do it.

For example on my to-do list now there is…



I wrote this to be done for last week Friday. It’s now Thursday.


Anyways, 

How is your attention span and what do you do to stay concentrated?


Comments