Exams during a worldwide pandemic




Well, my exams were not cancelled, I actually had to do them. (It’s only one at the moment)

I know that sounds very blah but, I got out of my GCSE’s and I thought why not try and get out of your A levels. To be fair as far as the guidelines go it was pretty safe. There was 6 of us in a big hall. We were spread out with two invigilators. 

The whole week I wasn’t scared although, the day before I did get a little frustrated. I wasn’t sure if I did enough revision. 



I was not frightened the next day (the day of the exam). I have no idea why. I felt psyched up. As in ready for this examination. 

Fortunately, my dad was free and he was able to drop me off so that I didn't have to take public transport. 

When I got there, I waited for my friend at the gate. It basically felt like a normal day. (Among the abnormal days of staying at home). Apart from the fact that one of my parents dropped me to school.

It was freezing. I hadn't been out for so long because of lockdown. I have basically forgotten how to dress. 

I waited, in the cold, for my friend to arrive. When we got into the school. We went to the reception. I was sceptical because receptionists are always so rude and she was alright (if your a receptionist, sorry). Anyways, we found there was a room change from a small room to a bigger room, the hall. To be honest I was relieved because it meant more room for social distancing.



We put our stuff into a room, where it was locked up. We waited outside for the invigilators as they had to spread out the papers.

As per usual there was a mix up within where people were supposed to be and our teachers were there to help calm our nerves(I wasn’t nervous yet but it was nice that they were there).

When we went in, we searched for our names. Once we all sat down, they read out the instructions; because I go to a catholic school, they read a prayer. 

The exam began. And just to set the scene. 

(Intense music)

It was silent. I had one hour and 30 minutes. Every second count. You should spend no longer than the number of marks on one question. If you get a stuck move on and come back to it after. Change your answer if you are unsure. However, you may have originally been right. 

The first question threw me. I was annoyed because I had looked at a question like that one previously. But I did not pay attention to the corrections my teacher gave me. I sat there for two seconds. I was really annoyed with myself. However, I had to carry on. 

I answered it as best as I could and carried on. Every three questions made me wonder what I was really doing during my "revision" but I would say that I think I did quite well. There was one other question that threw me.



When I got out of the exam hall. My friend was silent. I was worried but then I asked. We both laughed about the maths questions because they were a surprise. However, we had done it and it was such a relief. I spent the whole of January focusing on this one exam and now it was done. We said our goodbyes and I waited for my dad to pick me up. 

To give some context on the exam. It wasn't a difficult exam with the equivalence to a physics exam. Although, it was one of those exams that if you didn't know if you wouldn't get the mark. In some exams, you can waffle your way into a mark. I am not entirely sure how but you can do it.

To be honest, I'm just glad it was over. It was my second ever official exam due to corona so there was some anxiety over the fact that it was real.


Comments